Who’s ready for Super Bowl Sunday? I got the perfect party snack to start off the day with. This black bean dip is healthy and super easy to prepare! It’s a little spicy from the jalapeño but also refreshing from the lime juice. Serve this dip with tortilla chips and a side of fresh veggies such as cucumbers, celery, or carrots. If you happen to have leftovers- no worries- this dip works great spread in a sandwich, on top of a salad, or even eaten alone too!
Yield: roughly 3 cups
- 1 cup dry black beans, soaked overnight, drained, and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- 1 small jalapeño, seeded, about 1 tablespoon roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice, about 3-4 limes
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- pinch of cayenne powder
- 1-2 tablespoons filtered water
- salt + pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- Add beans to a medium sized pot with sea salt and bay leaf. Add enough water to cover beans by 1-2 inches. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 50-60 minutes or until tender.
- Strain and discard bay leaf. Add beans to a food processor.
- Add garlic, chopped jalapeño, olive oil, lime juice, chili powder, and cayenne powder. Process until smooth.
- Add 1 tablespoon of water at a time until desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl and stir in cilantro.
- Serve and enjoy!