This jam is perfect for this time of year since… YAY cranberries are in season! Chia seeds are a good source of essential fatty acids called omega-3’s! They also are a great source of fiber, provide antioxidants, are can be very inexpensive!
This jam is super easy to make. I prepped it the night before and let it sit overnight so that it really would thicken up. (*When chia seeds are exposed to liquid, they swell and absorb the liquid surrounding them, so that’s why they’re great to make jams and puddings with them.*)
I paired my jam with peanut butter and spread each on two pieces of toast. They filled me up perfectly and it was a quick and healthy breakfast option!
- 1 cup fresh cranberries, organic if possible
- 1/4 cup filtered water
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1-2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- In a food processor, process cranberries and water until smooth.
- Transfer mixture to a small pot and add chia seeds and maple syrup.
- Cook over medium heat for about 3 minutes or until some of the liquid has reduced and mixture looks thickened up.
- Remove from heat, let mixture sit until cool, and transfer to an airtight container or jar.
- Place in fridge and let sit for at least an hour before serving for jam to set.
- Serve on toast, oatmeal, pancakes, yogurt, whatever you’d like!
- Enjoy 🙂
- Save jam in refrigerator for 1 week.