Is anyone else obsessed with hummus like I am?! I could live off this stuff, especially when it’s homemade. Classic, beet, roasted garlic, you name it and I’ll eat it. This time around, I’m sharing this delicious roasted red pepper hummus. It pairs perfectly with pita bread, crackers, chopped veggies OR as a spread to sandwiches, wraps, anything you can think of. Oh, and I did I mention it’s super easy to make too!
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 1 can of chickpeas (15-ounce), drained and rinsed
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 tablespoons filtered water
- Optional: paprika for garnish
- Preheat oven to broil. Wash and dry red bell pepper.
- Cut pepper in half and remove seeds + core. Cut into large flat pieces and place skin side up onto a baking sheet.
- Coat pieces with olive oil and broil for 5-10 minutes or until skin has charred. (Make sure your oven rack is placed second from the top so that it can char the skin.)
- Once finished, let the pepper pieces sit until until cool to touch. About 10 minutes.
- Remove charred skin and discard.
- Chop up pepper and set aside.
- Add garlic cloves, lemon juice, and tahini to a food processor. Process until smooth.
- Next, add pepper, chickpeas, cumin, salt, and pepper. Process for 30 seconds.
- Press mixture down into the blades with a spoon and add 1 tablespoon of filtered water.
- Process for another 30 seconds and repeat step 9.
- Process until entire mixture is smooth and to your desired consistency. You can always add more water if you’d like, but I like mine a little on the thicker side.
- Spoon mixture out into a bowl and serve!
- Save for up to 1 week but I’m sure it’ll be gone before then 😉