New to matcha or wanting to hop on the recent trend? This finely ground tea powder is full of antioxidants and naturally boosts your overall health and enhances energy. I enjoy drinking this latte almost every day. I’ll tell you every ingredient I use and break it down as to why I use it and the health benefits of each.
- Matcha green tea powder: I use Matchaful or Ippodo Tea Ceremonial Grade Brands however you can also use the culinary grade. The culinary grade is not necessarily lower quality, but it just has a different purpose and usually cheaper. I choose to use the highest grade because it has a naturally sweet flavor and a smoother texture to it versus any other grade. Plus, the bright green color of a ceremonial grade indicates that it has higher concentrations of antioxidants and nutrients in the tea powder.
- Coconut butter: Matcha is high in Vitamin A (aka a fat soluble vitamin) and to completely absorb this vitamin, you need to be consuming a fat source with it. Coconut butter is high in healthy fats that can easily absorb fat soluble vitamins found in matcha. It also keeps this latte so smooth and creamy! I use Artisana Organics brand shown below.
- Collagen Peptides: This stuff is amazing. It keeps your hair fuller and softer, nails looking stronger and longer, and skin looking glowing and youthful. It also restores gut health by aiding in healthy digestion. On top of all that, it adds froth to your latte! I use Vital Proteins or Further Food collagen interchangeably. Vital Proteins brand shown below.
- Brain Octane Oil: This highly concentrated oil found in coconut oil enhances energy moods and clears brain fog. It’s a quick long lasting energy source that leaves you feeling ready to start your day. (Note: This is different than MCT oil.)
- Cinnamon: Gives you a little more sweetness without adding any sugar, controls blood sugar levels, and even has anti-inflammatroy properties.
Here’s the recipe:
- 2 cups filtered water
- 1-2 tsp matcha green tea powder
- 1 tablespoon coconut butter
- 1 serving of collagen peptides
- 1/2 tablespoon brain octane oil OR coconut oil
- 1/4-1/2 tsp cinnamon (I like a lot of cinnamon so I usually overdo it but start off with 1/4 tsp if you’re unsure)
- Bring water to a boil.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to a high speed blender. I prefer a Vitamix.
- Once water is almost at a boil, remove from heat and add to the blender.
- Blend on high for about 1-2 minutes or until frothy.
- Serve into your favorite mug and enjoy!